Frantic

  




It was a bit late at night but the moon had decided to bless the earth with it's brightness. So it wasn't too dark. I looked at my toddler's sleeping form, she was still fast asleep. I briefly wondered if she would still sleep later in the night because she had been sleeping since late afternoon. We were the only ones in the compound. Her father was at work and our neighbors werecaway. I needed to get some groceries from old Mama's shed very close to our compound. I had two options...it was either I wake her so she could go with me, then I'd have to carry her on my shoulder, because she'll certainly be too grumpy and will most likely refuse to walk. Or I quickly dash out, after all it was near the house. I could be back in 5 minutes or less. She wouldn't notice my absence for a few minutes. I chose the second option.


So I picked all that I needed and dashed out of the house. At mama's shed, I quickly mentioned all that I wanted to buy. But  asides from the fact that age was telling on mama and she had become tardy and slow, she sometimes wouldn't let me leave without a small chitchat. She didn't seem to realize that I had no time to spare on this particular evening so she started asking me about one of the neighbor who had gotten married weeks ago. While trying to get my change and the goods, I tried to respond to her numerous questions. Old people and their unrequired inquisitiveness. Faintly from afar I started hearing the bitter cries of a child but I didn't stop to think it could be my daughter. She was still fast asleep. She couldn't have woken up ...no way. 



After I was able to get away from the unavoidable


chitchat, I walked hurriedly towards our compound and the frantic cries got louder. I opened the gate and there before was my frantic 2year old daughter, barefooted, trembling in tears. I quickly held her, amazed at how within the few minutes I was gone she had gone from soundly sleeping to agitatedly running around the compound in search of everyone. After ensuring that she was calm. I explained to her why I had to leave without her. 


Many a times we are like this. Frantic over what is not. When it appears as if we're all alone, in trouble and unaware of what is going on in our lives we become frantic, desperate, depressed and unsettled. Sometimes we cry, we try to grope around in the dark wondering why it seems those who love us and who we love have left us.


However, I'd like to encourage you to let this piece and true life story that I have shared here remind you that in times when you feel alone, you're not alone. Do not let a short time waiting time get you agitated or frantic about the present. Always know that you're never alone, help is near, love is near and the warmth and peace you desire is just around the corner.

Always resist the urge to panic, rather be patient, courageous and hopeful. Everything good will come your way.

Comments

Popular Posts