All that glitters...


All that glitters is not gold, the old saying has been since time immemorial. Yet it keeps being applicable to circumstances in our world today. Often times than not we are tempted to assume that something is just by looking at its first appearance, we are quick to assume that a baked dough is bread not thinking it can be puffpuff or doughnut.

About two months ago, I was returning from work, I got to the major market I usually got to before taking another bus. I was about crossing the road when a richly dressed middle aged woman spoke to me in Yoruba (my young lady, becareful o, watch before crossing) I was  touched by her care and concern and immediately appreciated her kind gesture as I crossed.

I continued to trek on the other side, as I waded my way through the crowd I heard the woman call behind me still in Yoruba (pls dear hold on) I thought she was going to ask for directions to a place she was going as it was a weekend and she was dressed like someone attending a party. So I stopped and the next thing was “can you please help me with any amount? I m going to Mokola I still have to return to Lagos today I just need some amount of money to get to an atm machine where I will withdraw money, any amount” I was shocked  at first, so shocked that I stuttered for words for few minutes  then she continued “you should be able to help me it may be 500, 2200, 100 or 50 naira” for  days I still couldn’t match the appearance of the woman with her begging disposition.

 This is just one of the few cases I’ve encountered that further portrays how much seemingly shiny, attractive things on the outside turn out to be the opposite of what they seem.

We’ve heard stories of rich men , gentle men, easygoing and  quiet men who turn out to be devilish ritualists pouncing on unsuspecting young ladies who fall victim. My point is we may not be able to protect ourselves from negativities and dangers 100percent but we can try , we can stick to the path of contentment and caution by reminding ourselves often that all that glitters is not gold.

Comments

Popular Posts