BSB INTERVIEW: Interview with Adeyemi Onayemi




Adeyemi Onayemi is a young graduate of biochemistry from Yaba college of technology. He is an upcoming script writer and film maker. Apart from the fact that he is passionate, resilient and talented , he is a determined and hardworking script writer who is set to impact his generation and bring a new dimension into the world of script writing.
He recently filmed his first short film "Twisted" having just concluded his youth service. Read his interview by brownySays blog (BSB) below:



BSB :What was growing up like?

Adeyemi :   It was fun. I'm from an average family. Life was not difficult. I had everything I needed to get to where I am at the moment.


BSB:  Tell us how you ventured into script writing

Adeyemi: I started scriptwriting class on my phone with Google in the 2010. Then 2013, I went to study the course at pefti film institute.

BSB : Why script writing?

Adeyemi:Not just script writing. I love film making. Well, script writing for me is important. It is a tool for me to express myself, pass out message and influence my society positively.

BSB : Challenges so far

Adeyemi :Wow! So, many downs I must say. Because, many directors/producers are not interested in unsolicited scripts. Also, many people don't want to work with a starter. The industry is very tough for writers. They aren't well paid and they are underrated. I see them as the playmaker like in sport but no they're the least respected.



BSB: Let's talk about your film , TWISTED, what inspired it?

Adeyemi : I lost a female friend early January 2013. She was an intellectual and a modest girl. At that young age when many of us where having the urge for relationship and other vices, She was not into all that. She was always with her dad, she was pure in heart. But unfortunately, she died on her way  home from a tutorial class . She was hit by a commercial bus.

Majorly , the film hints on some of the fundamental misfortunes that befalls good people.

BSB: Sorry about your friend.....tell us more about the film

Adeyemi: Twisted is a short film talking about how life can be unfair to people with pure and good heart. But also encouraging them not to be discouraged. Telling them that life can be unfair but God is good. That one can have fear and faith at the same time but the faith should overcome the fear.

BSB: Wow...when shoukd we expect this?

Adeyemi: March 2018.

BSB: What more should we expect from you before next year runs out?


Adeyemi : Before the end of 2018, I would release another short-film. God willing. And maybe by 2019, I would come out with my TV series titled Two-Faced.

BSB: Thats really great.....what do you think about the Nigerian film industry abd script writing?

Adeyemi: like I said earlier, script writers are not given the respect/recognition they deserve. And for film production, I think we are getting there. There have been improvements but still we don't have a structure. People just come out and do their thing.
 It's not easy making it as an upcoming act..I don't even know if there is room for upcoming acts, the chances are slim. That's why you see people with different talents (acting/comedy) coming on Instagram. Because, the industry has taught us that it's every man for himself.

BSB: Who are your role models in the industry?

Adeyemi: Niyi Akinmolayan and Yemi Morafa. I love Niyi Akinmolayan because he gets better with every work. He is real and very factual. I just love Yemi Morafa. Though, he has just one feature length film for now. But I believe so much in his quality scripts.


Some scenes from the production of "twisted"



BSB: How did you raise money for this project?

Adeyemi: It hasn't been easy, I have out together my savings for this.

BSB: Final word for now
Adeyemi : Hmm...to other upcoming scriptwriters, I will say from my experience being a script writer is not enough in this part the world. You need more than that to make it or to be fulfilled. Script writing plus directing/editing or producing is a better option.

Comments

Unknown said…
Yemhigh, nice one there, keep it up and may God help you, Amen.
Lusty said…
I am happy to know that u r this creative
Unknown said…
More grease to your wrist so you can write more
Unknown said…
The sky is the starting point. This is just the beginning. Stay humble and remain focus.
Unknown said…
Nice one. I believe in you. Patiently anticipating for TWISTED.
Agho Uyi said…
I must to post ooo... My Main G is dropping Hard...
.
More Freeze to your elbow Boss.. #YemiOnPoint.
Agho Uyi said…
*Greese.
.
Please ignore the extra typo error.

Thank You.
Unknown said…
This is inspiring. I love the part of having to do self study on script writing before proceeding to the school. The internet is full of good stuff. I hope many of us can take advantage of it for personal development.
Preshnext said…
Well done Browny...

Popular Posts