leadership and liberty forum 2016

So on the 3rd of NOV 2016, Moronfolu Adeniyi sent me the link to the leadership and liberty forum (lalf) 2016. I opened the link and came to realize this particular gathering was really going to make sense. I became more anxious , expectant and excited when I realized I would be taking a session on Time management and leadership (leadership 101). Despite busy schedules and distance barrier, about forty participants and facilitators found their way to Royal green’s guest house Ibara Abeokuta on November 5th, 2016.

African student for liberty organization is an organization I have always respected and being indirectly a part of ,by this I mean I didn’t officially join while in school. Apart from the fact that these organization helps to discover and groom intellectuals. It is an organization comprising of ardent believers of liberty, freedom and leadership. They are a group of achievers who never act limited or limit themselves for no reason.

So as I listened to other speakers after giving my presentation on time management and leadership, I realized I had made a great choice agreeing to be in that event, I also concluded that there is big hope for Nigeria. Meeting young people with so much zeal, passion and intelligence for a course really challenged me and motivated me.

ASFL’s West Africa Regional director who is the host, Moronfolu Adeniyi spoke on ‘Promoting Liberty on African Campuses’. He highlighted some of the gains recorded so far as well as the adjoining challenges in the cause of advancing liberty across tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Moronfolu ended by narrating his experience as a student and how he and his team were able to surmount several obstacles from their school management in getting the organization established on their campus. He energized participants to be focused and determined pro-liberty advocates.

Lilian David, Another ASFL Executive Board Member talked extensively on ‘Benchmark of Successful Events/Projects’. To organize successful events, she identified and explained three strategies that student leaders can employ, which are: Coordination, Supervision, and Teamwork. She also shared possible events that can be organized by ASFL leaders, especially on campuses.

Former ASFL Executive Board member, Odunola Oladejo a very vibrant lady and John Aiyede (vice president of  ALSO, University of Ibadan) shared insights on ‘Free Speech and Campus Regulations’. Odunola being a lawyer gave more insight on how free a speech is and when one is beginning to cross one's boundaries.

SFL African Programs Manager, Olumayowa Okediran gave a broad introduction of ASFL to the participants. He explained how governments enact laws to infringe on individual rights and in turn hamper social freedom. He shared his experiences in the liberty movement and informed the participants about the ‘No Nanny Campaign’, a global SFL campaign that is identifying and reproving laws that are infringing on individual rights, and plans to integrate it into subsequent programs of ASFL. Really there are certain laws that are ridiculous in different parts of the countries. Why would the government decide for you where to park your cars on certain days? What to wear on certain days?

Azeez Alamutu spoke on financial discipline and fundraising. He made a statement which I quite agree with, "if you can't manage time, you can't be trusted with money".

I had invited one of my friends (dr Tolu Apampa) specially to the event, it was to be more of a re-union for both of us but alas we actually had to squeeze out time to talk. My point is, my friend and I got so involved in the interesting activities and presentations at the event such that we eventually left the venue later than planned .

LALF 2016 was a success and ASFL needs to be proud of this. The presence of experienced and well travelled personnel coupled with the ideas they shared further proved that these are people ready to matter to their environment. These are people who may never be relegated to the background, people who one way or the other are related to the rising and greatness of Nigeria. My presentation that day inspired even me and that’s what a great gathering does, it creates a good atmosphere for inspirations and ideas. An atmosphere to connect , relate and take opportunities and this is what I appreciate student for liberty (SFL) for.

Comments

Popular Posts