Diary of an Ibadan corper 7

In this episode, another guest author, Anifowose Mariam a fresh Ibadan corper shares some of her experience as a serving Ibadan corper ..

All i wanted was to serve my country, but I was disappointed when I didn’t go with the stream 1 . To make matters worse stream 2 couldn’t go to camp on the scheduled date due to ‘logistic reasons’ as NYSC had said then.

Eventually June 13 came, I travelled to the NYSC orientation camp at iseyin oyo state. Hmmm, my first experience that day I just won't forget it. I was told to carry my box on my head and walk to the main entrance of the camp. The man o war people didn’t pity my petite stature, thank God I didn’t go with much load. I did as I was instructed, did my registration and collected my kit.

To my greatest surprise I was given a giant sized khaki uniform , to add salt to my injury I was given a jungle boot of size 45 whereas my real size is 36. I ended up swapping with other corp members four times until I eventually ended up with a size 39 which was just manageable.

Everything in camp was regimented starting from the early morning exercise that is always spiced up with lovely music. I always find myself dancing instead of doing exercise. Anyway dancing is a form of exercise.

17days later, I was discharged to my place of primary assignment, ministry of health Ibadan, Ibadan north local government area.
Serving in Ibadan has its sweet funny and bitter experience.

The taxi drivers and okada riders are always ready to swindle corps members, once they see us in khaki. I almost spent all my money on transportation to the local government for cds my first time. Transportation fare of ₦50 I ended up paying ₦150. One has to been very smart with the market women too. They tend to sell their products at exorbitant prices once they see corps member in khaki.

PV signing in Ibadan north local government is another experience worth sharing. For my first PV signing, I got to the LG around 8am in the morning only to end up being number 42 on the list. Was it that some corps members didn’t sleep in their houses? Even at number 42 I still didn’t sign PV that day instead my white t-shirt got stained with brown powder, different shapes and colours of lip stick by other female corps member. To be sincere I think I stained other corps members's t-shirt with my lipstick too. Don’t blame us o, the female corps members in Ibadan north are fashion talented.

Ibadan is really a big city, it has quite a number of tall buildings like cocoa house, shopping malls like shoprite, cinemas , recreational centres like agodi gardens eatries like foodco, tantalizers, dominos pizza , KFC, food companies like sweetco, sumal foods etc. Allawee of 19800 hasn’t given me the opportunity to visit all those places I mentioned.

Ibadan people can be very funny when it comes to pronunciations. Omo Ibadan ki ni so re? there is this word I always hear from the taxi drivers ‘kin cenma’, on one faithful day I told my friend I will like to take a tour around Ibadan we were sitting down in the micra waiting patiently for the micra to get filled up. Suddenly I just heard that word again ‘kin cenma’ I decided to ask my friend where kin cenma is. Oh lord of mercy the driver was trying to pronounce queen cinema!



Anifowose Maryam, is a nutritionist. She loves writing and reading novels. A picky eater but skilled in cooking. she cherishes her sleep a lot and doesn't joke with it. maryamanifowose@yahoo.com

Comments

Popular Posts