DIary of an Ibadan corper 5

As he encouraged me to go on a bike, I realized he only kept quiet all through the car journey to allow Mr. slender have his time. He wasn’t as gentle as I had thought. But we got to the local government and thank God I wasn’t expecting much, I brought out my fare to pay the bike man and he brought out exactly his own fare too. He didn’t offer to pay at all, he just paid and walked on I was surprised. But more surprised and disappointed was I when I walked into the local government and saw about one thousand corpers or more pushing, shouting , screaming at each other. All trying to sign, this connoted that we had been counted. To crown it all it began to drizzle, I didn’t know whether to cry or scream! I walked closer and joined the struggle. It was bad, I mean really bad. Some corpers who still ha long distances to go even had to branch , they tried to see if they could participate in the headcount. Because they obviously knew they would never get to their stations that day.
I wish I had eaten before setting out that day. Infact I wish I had just left the rain and gone to seat somewhere till the rain stopped. Because later that day I realized that some people only had to send money to some officials to get signed. Some just came on the following Monday, despite threats of it closing on Sunday to sign with ease. Some even came later in the evening that same Sunday to sign can you imagine how angry I was when I learnt of this? All that struggle and suffering when I could have just taken courage and waited till later in the evening. My friend told me after that day, that has she washed her dirty tennis and corper uniform she made a vow never to rush, push or stress unnecessarily on NYSC queues again. But then it was a lie, is there anything you wont queue for in Ibadan north local government?

Comments

Popular Posts