INTERVIEW WITH TOM G. PALMER




Below is a short interview with Tom Palmer, a writer and a libertarian who is also partners with Atlas Networks, Washington DC, U.S.A.  Tom Gordon Palmer is a libertarian author, a Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute and Vice President for International Programs at the Atlas Network.
Palmer earned his B.A. in liberal arts from St. John's College, his M.A. in philosophy from The Catholic University of America, and his doctorate in political science from Oxford University, where he was an H. B. Earhart Fellow at Hertford College.
Palmer has been active in the promotion of libertarian and classical liberal ideas and policies since the early 1970s. He has been editor of several publications, including Dollars & Sense (the newspaper of the National Taxpayers Union), Update, and the Humane Studies Review, and has published articles in such newspapers and magazines as the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, the Spectator of London, National Review, Slate, Ethics, and the Cato Journal.


Read his interview below:
BSB: What did you do before atlas networks?
Tom: I worked at a think tank in Washington DC, I also had my doctorate in political science.

BSB: How did you get started in the liberty movement?
Tom: I became interested in liberty when I read Frank Bastiatt. He opened my eyes to what produces wealth and it gave me joy when I edited the book, "why liberty?". I asked  Mayowa Okediran to write a literature review . I like to help defend people's rights everywhere I go.
In the 1980s, I realized with a few other people that communism is finished. I spent time helping people to understand their rights, promote constitutional democracy and freedom of speech & trade and this of course had big impact.

BSB: What challenges have you encountered so far?
Tom: There was a time I was arrested in soviet union between 1988- 1989.

BSB: Have you ever been harrassed by government for what you do?
Tom: No, we are not hassled by government or threatened in our country although government often interferes in human rights. Every problem is not unique to a particular place.


BSB: What about your family, do they love what you do?
Tom: Yes they do. My nieces and nephews believe in liberty. I'm not married but I have 3 cats and my cats are libertarians too. (laughs)

BSB: Advice for young libertarians and young people interested in government
Tom: You have to become knowledgeable.










Note: BSB is an acronym for brownySays blog. A blog run by a writer,blogger, social media enthusiast and African students for liberty, local coordinator,  Ponmile Orija.
 Email: Ponmileorija@gmail.com,  porija@studentsforliberty.org
Phone number: 07060621882
Instagram: @brownySaysblog
Twitter:@brownySaysblog

Comments

Popular Posts