Sango to Abeokuta ( The estranged driver)

I  knew I had to go home that day but time wasn’t on my side at all.My then workplace was one where you hardly got permission to get away from work, whether you had genuine reasons or not you have to be at work till closing hours, except of course you lie.

As at six thirty pm I had no means of transportation from work to the park. I was beginning to worry, anxiety had set in. But not long after , I saw a free bike coming towards passengers on the road not minding the amount that was likely to
be charged I got on the bike to the nearest bus stop. From there I took a bus to the Sango bus park. I boarded another bus to Sango by then it was few mins to 8pm and I knew it was going to be very dark before I get home. At Sango I was desperate to get a vehicle fast , I saw cars but there was no passenger in it so I took a bus which had space for one left. I felt lucky and got in thinking the bus would move in a twinkle of an eye. On sitting down I realized I had made a wrong choice, the seat was so uncomfortable and worst of all the bus refused to move. They kept sorting out dues to transport workers as is their usual practice. As I shifted and tried to feel a bit comfortable on the seat a voice in my head told me "wouldn’t you get down and find another vehicle?" As I contemplated on getting down the young man beside me , as if reading my thoughts adjusted and accommodated me, he even took the pain to enjoin others to make room for me I was grateful so I readjusted on my seat . The conductor came and I thought he was one of those young kids who had no tfare and wanted to manage as a stowaway in the bus. But “kekere” as he was called started demanding money from passengers. He was truly small like the name implied and I began to wonder what manner of human being makes a kid his conductor? It was sort of too late for me to get down the bus had already moved and kekere totally forgot to collect money from me, rather he offered me change. I looked at him and said “kekere, you haven’t collected my tfare and you are offering me change” as I handed him my transport fare the other passengers of the bus began to call him all manner of names and they thanked me for being honest. All these while the driver said nothing, kekere tapped him and called “kowope, take your money” he spoke in Yoruba and handed all the money to the man. “kowope” I thought within me what a name…..


It wasn’t long before my fears of having  boarded a wrong bus was confirmed. Kowope began to drive extremely slow, he was so slow such that people in the bus began to complain , a lot of comments were passed. Suddenly he stopped at a point near a bush, Kowope still didn’t say anything he got down from the driver seat,  poured water into the radiator which was already over heating. As much as people lamented , kowope said nothing. We got back in and continued the journey in the same sluggish manner despite time wasn’t on our side. Kowope still didn’t utter a word. I began to think he was dumb. kekere tried to warn the passengers in the bus silently , he looked at me and said to me in a hush hush voice in Yoruba” kowope isn’t well, he was overspeeding in the last journey we made” I looked at him as he was seating almost opposite me and I wondered what was he saying… this so called kowope guy is obviously a dumb sluggish man. I ignored the warning even though I wasn’t part of the complaints team. Then suddenly, Kowope got to a bend and he engaged the gear and only God knew where the speed came from.

He began to overspeed, it was already few minutes to 9pm and every where was dark there were a few  cars also ahead and kowope nearly ran into them. Everyone’s song changed in the bus, we began to plead with kowope to slow down . we were no longer in a hurry but kowope as usual heard nothing.

I began to say prayers in my heart , kowope started overtaking cars recklessly on the express, the young man seated beside me held on to his bag and kept mute.  He had a very stern look on his face such that I didn’t know if he was afraid or . The lady next to him was screaming Jehovah ! Jehovah !!  there was all manner of screaming from behind in the bus and just within a twinkle of an eye a miracle prevented Kowope from colliding with a trailer. Kekere sat there in front  of me,  a bit shaken but not a shaken as other passengers. It was dark but I saw that he had this “I told you so face”. He gently stood stretched across towards driver Kowope and rubbed his arm , he spoke in yoruba “ Kowope, its okay, we will soon be home.” Kowope was calm for the rest of the journey.

As each passenger got down at their bus stops they gave thanks to God for life. No one uttered any complaints again. Kowope uttered not a single word all through the journey. I got down at the final bus stop and said to myself, I have to write about this.

Note: This is a true life story, not every driver on the road is sane.

Comments

Arike said…
Wow! Thank God for safety. Pele.
Unknown said…
Hahaha!
I've been there. Strange but true.
I'm glad you were able to write about this in good health condition.
salako said…
You truly had a journey

Popular Posts