Interview with an amazing corper

She actually didn’t tell me her name, I stole it… I was sitting at the pavilion in my camp waiting to know what food was to be served before deciding if I was going to eat, when she approached me with her food flask and asked if she could sit by me. Earlier on I’d been seeing some of them on camp, I kept wondering if they were on assignment on camp or if NYSC removed the age bar. Anyway I got into conversation with Tagwai Stella, she was reluctant at first but later felt free with me I know I should have told her from the onset that I was interviewing her, anyway she caught me along the line and she asked if I was a journalist. I could only laugh, Nonetheless here is what she had to say.





Stella: I’m from Benue state, I studied public administration and I have children but I wont tell you how many. (laughs)
Browny: even if you tell me you are 30, I know that you are above 30 so can you tell me why you decided to come for this orientation programme not minding the age barrier?
Stella: yes, you are right. I’m already working but I discovered that wherever I go in search of a better offer they ask me for my NYSC discharge certificate. So I realize that its something I need.


Browny: you were allowed to go through this programme despite your age, did anyone disturb you or collect any payment from you for this?
Stella: no o, not at all.
Browny: how did your family I mean your husband and children take this decision of yours?
Stella: well, they took it well, they encouraged me, they are happy I took the step to achieve what I want.


Browny: how do you feel in the midst of very young people, I don’t know the age of your children since you have refused to say, but I know that being in the midst of people as young as these and going through the same activities with them can be a bit awkward
Stella: well, I like it. I do everything, I m in no 5 platoon. I march, I dance, I do the morning drills. The soldiers even commend me. I have young friends too. Besides I m not the only grown up here, I m sure you have seen some others too. (she looks around and points to a man who obviously is more than 30yrs of age, with potbelly walking away) he is one of us.
Browny: do you get tired of the activities, aren’t they too stressful? How do you cope with the weather?
Stella: well, I do get tired, but I have gotten used to it. I am also used to the weather, I married a plateau man.(smiling). Besides most times on the queue they attend to me first. They give me chance to do my own things first so that I don’t have to queue for too long.

Browny: what is it about the young people in this camp that you do not like?
Stella: the immorality and the nasty behavior, I am going to warn my children against such when they go for their mandatory youth service. Its too much and sad.
Browny; what has been your greatest challenge here so far?
Stella: well, it is the change of environment and routine. Having to wake up early. I had to adapt here, I don’t know if I will be able to go back to my normal life when I go back home.



Browny: you definitely will. it has been nice chatting with you, I really admire your courage, coming back for this orientation program at this stage, most women cannot do this, after children. Will you let me take a picture of you?
Stella: thank you too. No oo, no picture o (laughing)…

Comments

Etestifies said…
Interesting. There are many of them I've noticed too.

Popular Posts