CHEFS

When the social director of my platoon asked me to write about chefs, here is what came to mind...
When I was younger, I hated cooking, being the last daughter didn’t help matters which is why up till now I respect good cooks and I see chefs as awesome. Becoming a chef means you love to cook so much that you make it a profession, I must say the path is not easy, it involves long hours, physical labour and sometimes risks.


Especially when you are cooking something new or trying out new ingredients.
Most chefs begin from home, they cook different delicacies as try outs until they become confident, some cook for other people first on a small scale, till they gain grounds. A lot of factors affect the work of a chef, the final taste and outcome as well. One of the hidden factors is mood. I learnt from experience and people’s testimony that one’s mood before and when cooking affects the taste of the meal. Although everyone has their own distinct taste and no matter how much you try to taste like someone you still have your own taste, the mood plays a role in it. But the good thing is as long as your taste is good and acceptable you are already on your way to becoming a good chef.


During my industrial training in Nestle Nigeria Agbara factory, I was opportuned to enter into one of the kitchens and take microbiological samples for analysis. I encountered some chefs who were skilled in both international and local dishes, many of them had been chefs for years and were already used to the act of cooking and decorating dishes well. This brings me to the conclusion that becoming a good chef is about continuous practice, will and desire to become better.

Comments

Popular Posts