Living off campus 4

It turned out to be Ola. Ola was a casual friend of mine, those kinds of friends you make as a result of a necessity or a joint responsibility. More like an acquaintance, I had an inkling Ola really liked me but I pretended not to notice. Seeing him that afternoon really surprised me, we were through with the fellowship project that brought us together, what could he possibly want? I thought within myself
After exchanging greetings and settling down, I expected him to state the reason for his visit but he only looked at me and smiled. This got me more impatient and irritated. He obviously wasn’t my kind of person. As if that wasn’t enough, I had secretly hoped that Ife wouldn’t leave me alone with him but unfortunately she stood up and excused herself from the room.
I was angry, now he will think he is being given free space to talk. i didn’t bother offering him anything, I didn’t want to prolong his stay. He picked up our album and started looking through making comments which I only managed to respond to. He later spoke about the church and recent developments. After few minutes which seemed like eternity he declared his leave. I was more than pleased to see him off.
When I returned to the house Ife wasn’t in still. I heard her voice inside Doyin’s room so I went there. As soon as I entered, Laura who was also in the room started taunting me asking if Ola was my boyfriend. They all burst out laughing I was so embarrassed and angry that they actually thought I could date Ola. I later got them to change topic. Doyin started praising her boyfriend. She made us look to the left side of the room where she arranged foot wears, sandals, shoes of different colours and designs like Laura. She claimed she had just ordered for them, courtesy her boyfriend. Ife and I continued to admire the collection.
After sometime we went back to our room, we had to prepare for the next day. Later on before sleeping that night Ife kept on talking about Doyin’s collections. She couldn’t bring herself to accept the fact that she was envious though. she later ended her talk with the fact that Tunji was richer than Ronald, Doyin’S boyfriend. It really infuriated me that Ife could think that way, more so she was still serious about Tunji after all we knew about his relations with different girls.

The days went fast, I was so busy that I hardly had time to relax. It was getting to that time of the semester when one could expect tests anytime. But one thing that got me wondering was that Ife was never busy. Infact she wasn’t going to school everyday. yet I saw her departmental mates in school running from one lecture hall to the other. Each time I asked her why, she would reply she already had the notes and someone wrote attendance for her. Asking her what she had been doing with her time usually brought about anger and explanations which were obviously lies. Ife’s behavior was becoming more unacceptable as the days went by, she left the house at odd times, stabbed lectures, came home with different stuffs and worse of all she kept on lying.
She was changing overnight, I was so worried and felt guilty each time our parents called and we say we are fine. Especially when Ife’s parents call me. I discussed her with some of my trusted friends in school, some advised that I just keep managing and praying for her others suggested that I called her parents anonymously and inform them. I still continued to contemplate this. Then one day suddenly Ife moved some of her things to Tunji’s room. she even started cooking in his room. I was really angry at this. Our once tight relationship was beginning to slack and she didn’t care.
One evening I got back from school and met Ife’s absence as usual. I didn’t bother to look for her I just fixed myself something to eat, I was eating when suddenly the door burst open and Ife rushed in. she fell on the bed and began to weep profusely.

Comments

Popular Posts